If you are a pro gamer then finding a good game to play would be a big deal. Although finding a good game to play for a few hours may not be that hard, finding a game series on which you will spend a month or so or even longer might be a little challenging. But playing a whole series is also quite fun as you evolve with the game and your experience is elevated as soon as you jump to the next game in the series. Fortunately, there are plenty of series that are worth your time and attention, one of these series are Mortal Kombat.
Mortal Kombat is an American fighting video game that debuted in 1992 under the same name as the series. Shortly after the first game it created quite a buzz and made a mark which led to releasing the second game after a while. And that’s how the whole series was made. At the present day, Mortal Kombat is just not a video game series but a franchise that includes movies, animated material, toys, and more merchandise.
The series is quite impressive given the fact that there aren’t too many good fighting games out there, so naturally, this one was a game-changer. The developers have always tried to push the boundaries and made sure that the fans get the best fighting games with only a few limits or boundaries. The games also featured the fantasy theme too which made the players quite a fan of the game series as it spiced things up.
The game has been releasing at a regular pace since the debut of the first game in the series and fans are also eagerly waiting for the games in the series as well. So naturally, there are plenty of games in the series to play. Although you can play only the popular titles in the series, if you like the genre and are a serious gamer then you would want to play all the games in the series and that too in their chronological order.
Well, it might be a little hard to know the correct Mortal Kombat games in order and that is why we are going to help you out and list down all the games in order, so go ahead and have a look at the following list.
- 1 Best Mortal Kombat Games In Order
Best Mortal Kombat Games In Order
Mortal Kombat was the first game to be launched in the series in 1992. The game was launched for many platforms including Arcade, Amiga, Game Boy, MS-DOS, Sega CD, Game Gear, Genesis, Master System, SNES, TV game, and LCD game. At that time it was quite big of a deal for a game to be launched on this many platforms.The game starts with some outward forces trying to subjugate the earth empire, that’s when the Elder Gods introduced the Mortal Kombat tournaments. The outward warriors won’t be allowed to invade earth unless they have won all ten tournaments. There are plenty of characters present in this game that will be significant to the storyline of most of the major games in the series. Each one of the characters has its own storyline and credits. So it would be fun to see them fighting.The game was introduced to us with simpler gaming controllers and there wasn’t too much that can be done by the characters to win the battle, that is, their powers were limited. For the first game in the series, has made an impact and made sure that players across the world would love the storyline and gameplay. Overall, this was a great start for the series and you should certainly play this one as the introduction to a legendary video game series.
2. Mortal Kombat IISince the first game in the series got very popular and there were many fans awaiting the next part of the series, the developers didn’t make them wait any longer and released the next game in the series only a year later in 1993 for arcade. Where the first game laid the foundation of a legendary fighting game, the second game made sure that it was going to be epic and it will also be going forward.This game was a true sequel to the first game as it featured more fighters, finishers, violence, blood, and a lit more options to play this game and have fun. Not only have the developers added some new stuff but also fixed the issues that were there with the first game in the series. The game does follow the same pattern as the first game in the series as it did launch for several other platforms later.They improved the game mechanics and added more fatalities to the characters. They have also introduced some new characters in the game that will stay for a long time in the whole series. The gameplay is also faster than the previous game. Overall, it is an amusing game so you would like to play this game and have a great time.
3. Mortal Kombat 3This is the third installment in the Mortal Kombat series and it debuted in 1995 for arcade. The game took two years to launch after the first game in the series. This game comes with some major changes in the game such as the game won’t feature any tournament storyline but the characters will only fight against Shao Kahn. One of the new features introduced in the game was the ability to run as the players would be able to run to complete the combos and it was measured by a run meter in the game.The game was also hyped for the Kombat code, where the players will be able to enter inputs and unlock characters and alter the game too. There are plenty of things that impressed the players and they all loved the game as well. The graphics and mechanics have been improved so that was something the players loved about the game. It was later released for SNES, Genesis, Game Gear, and Gameboy; you would also find it on PC and PlayStation.
4. Mortal Kombat 4This one was the next Mortal Kombat game in order and it was released in 1997, after almost two years of its previous installments. The game was originally released on Arcade, although it was later released for other consoles as well. This game was the first one to use 3D graphics so players got rid of the 2D fighters in this game. The game was changed a bit and as usual new things were introduced to the players. You would find new objects and weapons, apart from this the players will be able to pick fights as well. The players will also be able to pick up, drop, and use the weapons on opponents.The game also introduces us to the maximum damage feature. There is also the combo cap and other fatalities also included in the game. In a way, the game got even more violent and there were larger stage fatalities too, so players loved it even more. The graphics and the soundtrack were also quite interesting.Later on, the game was also released for several other platforms such as the Nintendo 64, Sony Playstation, and Windows PCs.
5. Mortal Kombat GoldThe next one in the chronological order of the Mortal Kombat games is Mortal Kombat Gold. This one was released in 1999 for Sega’s Dreamcast system, it was an exclusive release for the console. Although the game was pretty close to the original title, you would find six new characters in the game. Although, this game isn’t significant to the storyline and many people have skipped it because of the exclusive console. This game also features some new ways to select weapons and a few new stages too. Overall, if you have this console, then you might want to check it otherwise you can skip it.
6. Mortal Kombat: Deadly AllianceThe next game in the Mortal Kombat series is the Deadly Alliance. This was released in 2002 and it was the first game to not debuted for arcade originally but for PS2, Game Cube & Xbox. This is the fifth game in the franchise and fans were pretty excited about the game. This was a very promising game in the series and it was something no one has ever seen. Fighters would be able to switch the fighting styles in the game and they will also be able to combine different fighting styles throughout the match.You will also see “Krypt” for the first time in this game, these are used to get extras in the game. Players will get coins throughout the gameplay, the more they will play the more coins they will get. Other than this, players have also appreciated the improved graphics in this game.
7. Mortal Kombat: DeceptionMortal Kombat: Deception is the next game in the order that you need to know about. This game debuted in 2004 for PS2, Game Cube, and Xbox originally. This was the game that also made some headlines and created a lot of buzz among the gamers. The game is counted among the best Mortal Kombat games in order as well. Undoubtedly, the game was well-received by players as well as the critics.With this game, the fatalities were bought back, and there were many ways to kill the opponent too. So the game was quite violent. This is the reason why the game became the best fighting game released that year.To make the game even more interesting, the developers introduced the new ARPG ‘Konquest’ mode along with the online fighting mode, it was quite fun and made this game unique as well.
8. Mortal Kombat: ArmageddonThe next game in the order is Armageddon and this one debuted in 2006 for PS2 and Xbox only. It is the 7th installment in the series and it was quite interesting, as this is the final chapter in the Mortal Kombat storyline.This game features every character that has ever appeared in the whole series from the start. Players will now have their own set of fatalities which would require multiple Deadly hits. Another feature that was never seen before was the kreate-a-fighter mode. This mode allowed the players to customize their combatants. This game was also well received by the fans.
9. Mortal Kombat VS DC UniverseIf you are a fan of DC universe or the Batman games then this game would be your favorite in the series because the two different storylines have been bought together. The game was released in 2008 for PS3 and Xbox 360.The story of the game features two superpowers battling against each other, each one of the team is led by Superman and Raiden. Since the game was supposed to be kid-rated because of the DC universe, a lot of fatalities have been removed which makes it not very violent like any other game in the series.
10. Mortal Kombat MK9This is the 9th installment in the series and it was released in 2011 for PS3 and Xbox 360. With this game, the series goes back to the 2D fighting style leaving the 3D one. The whole game has been divided into three levels so it is quite interesting. It also features an online mode that is pretty unique. There is also a 300 level tower to play in this game along with several new features.Overall, it may not be as massive as the last few games in the series, yet it does make a mark.
ConclusionHere we have come to an end for our article for the Mortal Kombat games in order. We have listed the main titles in chronological order. As we have said earlier, this series would be fun to play if you explore each one of the games in chronological order.That would be all for now and we hope you got everything that you have been looking for. Thank you.