We all can agree that action-adventure games are one of the best genres to play. No matter what your favorite genre is, you would certainly like to play action-adventure games for sure. That is the reason why we have plenty of action-adventure games for various consoles. So finding a good action-adventure game won’t be an issue. On the other hand, there are also some very popular action-adventure series that is our favorite and we just wait for these series to expand and get us new games in the series.
One such action-adventure series is Legends of Zelda. Whether you are a fan of this game or not you must have heard about it somewhere or might have played a game in the series too. Well, this is one of the longest-running action-adventure series that you would find. Some of the reasons behind the popularity of this series are strong characters, a nice storyline, and great action-adventure elements. The story of the game is based on Link, the soul of a legendary hero who completes the task of saving princess Zelda. The game also offers puzzle-solving, platforming, exploration, dungeon crawling, and action-adventure combat. There are also very unique concepts explored such as time-traveling, shapeshifting, and dimensional travel.
If you are thinking about starting the whole series then you might want to know the correct chronological order of the Legend of Zelda series. There are more than 20 games in the series, so finding the correct order might be a little challenging. Well, you are here for a reason, aren’t you?
In this article, we are going to list down the Legend of Zelda games in order so that you can know the correct order of the games. So go ahead and have a look at the following list of Legend of Zelda games in order.
- 1 Best Legends Of Zelda Games In Order
- 1.1 1. The Legend of Zelda
- 1.2 2. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
- 1.3 3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- 1.4 4. The Legend of Zelda – Link’s Awakening
- 1.5 5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- 1.6 6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
- 1.7 7. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Oracle of Ages
- 1.8 8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords
- 1.9 9. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- 1.10 10. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
- 1.11 Conclusion
Best Legends Of Zelda Games In Order
The first game in the series debuted in 1986 and it was available for both handheld and console. The game was just a starting point of the legendary series but people did appreciate the game when it was first released. Since the game was released a long ago, you may find it outdated at first but it is quite an amazing game if you play to kill some time or if you are really interested in playing every game that was ever released in the series.It was first released for the Famicom Disk System, a Nintendo home console. But later it was released for the NES, GameCube, Game Boy Advance, Wii Virtual Console, 3DS Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console, and the Switch Online NES Library. Since this is the original game it introduces us to the character of Hyrule, the fantasy land, Link, and a young hero.The plot of the game involves Link collecting fragments of the Triforce of Wisdom. He needs them to rescue Princess Zelda from Ganon. The game takes place in dungeons and open areas. Players will have to collect several tools to solve the puzzles or defeat the enemies. Players will be given only a few instructions, so there will be some free will in this game to enjoy it.
This is the next Legend of Zelda game in order which was released in 1987 for FAMINOM and later for NES. After a while, it was also made available for GameCube, Game Boy Advance, Wii Virtual Console. 3DS Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console, and the Switch Online NES Library. This game also involves the similar Link Reincarnation and rescuing Princess Zelda. This time you will try to rescue Princess Zelda from a sleeping spell.This game is a direct sequel to the next game and you would like the fact that the game starts feeling like a story that starts from the prequel game. The game focuses on the side-scrolling section, RPG elements, and puzzles. The experience points and a leveling system are included in the RPG system. Apart from this, you will also find a magic meter and the dark Link character.Overall, the story of this game is quite fascinating and the events are picked up from the last game. So you would have a great time playing this game too and the story will lead forward too.
This is the third installment in the series that was released in 1991. It debuted for SNES first but later on the game was released for Game Boy Advance, Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console, Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console, and the Switch Online SNES Library as well. The game was loved by the fans because of the vast characteristics that are still present in the modern Zelda games. So it will be a treat for the fans to see the characters that they can even relate to in modern times.The game also features multi-level dungeons, dynamic settings with lights and shadow, the grappling hook, and the master sword. This game is in a semi-open-world setting which makes it quite interesting to play as you will have plenty of locations to explore in the game.This game is a prequel to the Legend of Zelda games as it features a Link to the Past. So you will find a younger Link and create the Hero is Defeated timeline. You will see how Princess Zelda sends a telephonic message to Link which says that she needs to be saved from a Hyrule Castle Dungeon. With this, you will know how it all started and what challenges Link faced when he first found out about Princess Zelda and the mission to save her.
This is the next game in the series that was released in 1993 for Game Boy Advance. It was also released for Game Boy Colors and currently, you can find this game on the 3D Virtual Console.This game starts with the Hero is Defeated timeline which is the past life of Link. Although it does feature a change as the story doesn’t take place in Hyrule and there is no Princess Zelda or the Triforce relic. With this game, you will be introduced to the character of Yoshi, although this character is exclusive for this game only and you won’t find him in any other series.It is pretty clear that the player will take control of the character of Link and they will have to do everything in this power to help Link, who is lost on Koholint Island. He is guarded by the Wind Fish, who is a whale-like God. There are plenty of monsters to fight, puzzles to solve, and they’re also so much to explore as well. So this game is solely focused on Link and how he awakens or escapes his present situation and goes on a mission to save Princess Zelda later.
The next game in the series was released in 1998 and it debuted worldwide for Nintendo 64. Later on, it was made available for GameCube, Wii Virtual Console, and the Switch Online N64 Library. There are quite a few changes introduced to the game since it was the first game to be released on Nintendo 64. The game features 3D graphics and this is just the beginning. The game also changed a lot in terms of gameplay and it was changed for the better and forever. Not only the graphics but also the puzzle-solving, combat, and exploration became 3D. So in a way, the game became more complex and deeper, which was quite impressive and also appreciated by the fans at the time of its release.In this game, Link is on the main timeline to solve a quest where he has to stop Ganondorf, an evil king. For this, he will have to travel through timelines, navigate dungeons, and explore the overworld (area outside Hyrule). The game now has turned into an action-adventure game that is played in third-person perspective due to the 3D graphics.The link also has plenty of new weapons to use against the opponents such as shields, swords, bows, bombs, and even magic spells. With a larger map a wide array of weapons and some mind-blowing quests and puzzles, this is one of the most loved games in the series.
This game was released in 2000 for Nintendo 64 and it was the sixth game in the series as well. The game follows the events right after 2 months of the last game.This game follows Link on his quest to Termia which is a parallel world. He must have to stop the Moon from falling as it will destroy the whole world. The major highlight of this game is that Link will have a mask that will turn him into different personalities with different skills too. He will be able to control time, open passages, travel back in time and can solve puzzles in the game.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Oracle of AgesThis is a two-in-one kinda game and it was released in 2001 for Game Boy Color and later it reached Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console.This game takes you back in the Hero is Defeated timeline. The story will continue after the Link Awakening timeline. While in the second game you will find sorceress Veran has possessed goddess Nayru in Labrynna.The gameplay is similar to the previous games. There are lots of weapons and puzzles to solve as well. It would be fun playing two games together.
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four SwordsThis game was released in 2002 for Game Boy Advance. This game accounts for two separate entities and both work as multi-layered dungeon exploration with sword, shield, abilities, and magic.There are so many different elements in the game and you will also see the multiplayer elements to the game as well. It has multiple layers and also intervened in the past game events too. So in a way the game has just got more complex.
9. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind WakerThis is the next Legend of Zelda game that was released in 2002 for GameCube. This game happens in the vast sea and on a group of islands. Link is up against the Ganondorf and Triforce relics and there are many conflicts going on here.Although the graphics are more cartoon style, it would be similar to other games in terms of gameplay. There are puzzles to solve, locations to explore, and quests to complete that will lead you forward in the mission of saving Princess Zelda.
10. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords AdventureThe next Legend of Zelda game in order was released in 2004 for GameCube. It is also a great game in the series and fans have appreciated it too.The game happens centuries after Majora’s Mask and will take you to the Child’s Timeline. Again the story of the game is in multiple layers and there will be plenty of crossovers with the previous games in the series. You will also find Co-op multiplayer mode as well. There are a few new features introduced in the game and it is quite fun to play as well.
ConclusionSo these are the Legend of Zelda games so that you have been looking for. This is a long series so once you start you are going to play it for a long time so you might as well play it in the correct order. Even though some people would play the games as standalone games, if you want to stick to the game for a long time you should go by the order of the series.That would be all for now and we hope you got everything that you have been looking for.