The shooting genre is everyone’s favorite, after all, who doesn’t want to shoot at everything in the game and flaunt their shooting skills in front of their friends or other players. Since the popularity of shooting games is so high, we are not short on options when it comes to the best shooting games or game series. Doom is one of the most popular first-person shooting game franchises that you may or may not have played, but you must have heard about it somewhere.
The franchise was started in 1993, and with its arrival, the FPS genre was defined and became a new popular genre among video game enthusiasts. The game also inspired many other studios and hence the Era of shooting games started too. It is one of the most popular games and there is a film also made under the same title. Each one of the games has something new to offer you and that is why fans are always eager to get a new game in the series. But for those who haven’t really started the series and just want to know more about the series and the games, this article is going to be helpful.
When it comes to games in the series, there are more than 10 games including 5 main series games and a few spin-offs. If you are the type of gamer who would want to play all the games in the series in chronological order then this article is for you. Here, we are going to list down the Doom games in order and also going to review them for you as well. So go ahead and take a look at the following article and see how many amazing games you will find in the Doom series.
Also check – Mortal kombat games in order / Nancy drew games in order
Best Doom Games In Order
1. Doom – Main Series 1993The very first game in the series that ever came out was Doom and it was released in 1993. The game was first released for the MS DOS system but now we have different editions for numerous platforms such as Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. This is an FPS game with 3D graphics and 2D models, since it came decades ago, the game does feel like an old one but it is quite fun to play for a retro shooting game.The game starts with an unnamed space marine who ran through multiple military bases in Hell and bases on Mars’ moons. You will find that each dungeon has a different episode and the final area has a boss fight. The player will have to look after his health, armor, and ammo. The opponents are vicious and tough so defeating them will take some serious shooting and combat skills. There are multiple weapons including a pistol, a plasma rifle, a pistol, power-ups, and the mighty BFG 9000, and these are pretty good to shoot.This game puts more emphasis on the gameplay than the plot, so you will have to focus on your shooting rather than your storyline. Overall, this game is a great start for a great franchise.
2. Doom II- Hell on EarthDoom II is the second installment in the series and it is the part of the main series and came a year later after the release of the first game in the series. The game is available for MS-DOS, Mac OS, Game Boy Advance, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, iOS, and Android, so you can easily play it, even today. This game is an improved and expanded version of the first game and it is also a pretty thrilling FPS game.This game will take place on Earth rather than Mars, hence the name. Even though the game’s mechanics don’t feature major changes yet a few differences would set the two games apart. The gameplay is simple and there is no heavy-duty plot to follow but your shooting skills need to be improved so that you can rely on them. Apart from a Supergun, a series of new enemies have also been added. The dungeons are wider and nonlinear, and with each level, you will get more to defeat.Overall, it is a pretty great game to play to show off your shooting skills, and this time you will have to save the earth from becoming hell.
3. Final Doom – 1996 (Third-party Entry)Next in the chronological order of the Doom series, this one was released in 1996 and made quite a buzz among the Doom fans. The game was also first released for MS-DOS and then it became available for Nintendo Switch, Macintosh PCs, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The story of the game takes place after the events of Doom II and it is something that would certainly impress you because it is going to be a lot more difficult than Doom II. There is no life regeneration in Final Doom.This is a third-party title consisting of two episodes. It also features 32 levels as well and it would get tougher as you move forward. The game is quite fun and even though it isn’t part of the main series, it is quite fun to play as well.
4. Doom 64 – 1997 (Third-party Entry)We have yet another third-party entry in the Doom series and this one was also loved by the players as well. This one has 28 levels and 4 secret levels along with hordes of demons. The game is quite similar to the other Doom games when it comes to gameplay tactics. But this game has greatly improved graphics, visuals, character models, weapon models, and performance.The story of this game follows the Doom Guy after defeating the hell invasion on Earth. Here, you will get lots of new missions that will test your shooting skills so you have to use your experience in this game. A new mission in this game will send the space marine to a Union Aerospace Corporation base to hunt for a dangerous entity. The new enemy comes with high radiation levels, corrupted tissues, and abilities to resurrect the dead.One thing that makes this game a little different from others in the series is its storyline and plot, if you are not careful you might get trapped and won’t be able to see the big picture. The ending might surprise you too. So if you are planning to play the spin-off or the third-party games in the Doom series, make sure you check this one out. You will certainly love playing this game in Hell.
5. Doom 3We have yet another main series Doom game in order and this one was released in 2004. The game was very much appreciated by the players and customers. The game was first launched for Windows but later on, it was available for Linux, macOS X, and Xbox. This game is the first game in the reboot series so you can expect some new elements and a new storyline but similar gameplay and lore.In this game, the Doom Guy is taken to Mars in the year 2145. A military conglomerate is investing in researching teleportation, advanced weapons, and bio-weaponry. This is done to experiment with whether they can open a gateway to hell or not. As usual, things go south and there is a demon invasion on Mars.This game is more story-driven and your objective will be to defeat several enemies throughout the game. You will also work hard to reach the exit points to complete levels. There will be non-playing characters with key information, inventory items, and objectives. One thing that makes it one of the best games in the Doom series is the shooting. There are lots of amazing weapons including BFG 9000 and experimental plasma weapons. Even the enemies have different weaknesses and skills, so you might have to spend a great deal of attention on your enemies to defeat them.The game also uses the horror elements to aim the series into a survival/horror genre along with the FPS genre. It can also be played in player mode with up to 4 players who will be playing against the team of the other four players.
6. Doom (Rebooted Series 2016)This is the next Doom game so you would like to play sometime. This game was released in 2016 and it made quite a buzz among the gamer community as well. The game was developed by iD Software and published by Bethesda Softworks. This game features a new Doom Slayer that comes back to fight against the force of Hell. You will find Demons and Undead are attacking a UAC on their Mars Facility. The main objective for Slayer is to drive the hellspawn back to where they belong.This game comes with several new features including a character progression system, environmental traversal, enhanced mobility skills, and a wide arsenal. It also features the Glory Kills System where staggering an enemy with enough damage, the Slayer would be able to kill it with a special melee action.This one also features multiple enemies and each one of them has a different personality, weakness, or strength. The game also features amazing graphics, a soundtrack, and weapons. Overall, you would be more than happy to play this game.
7. Doom VFR – 2017 (VR Spin-off)Doom VFR is the next Doom game in the order and it is a VR Spinoff that was released in 2017. The game was first released for PlayStation VR and Windows. This game comes with a change because it is a spin-off so you won’t play Slayer instead you will be playing cybernetic survivor, who is a UAC soldier who fights a demon invasion of Mars. This is a cannon story that follows after the events of Doom II.The gameplay of this game will allow you to travel across the UAC facility, teleport, use jet strife, and use multiple weapons to fight. You would have to customize the key binding to make it work for you. The game is quite tough so you may find its VR quite clumsy.This game is quite a treat if you already have a good enough VR setup. You will be able to tweak the controls and it will be a great, brutal, and smooth game to play. There are plenty of weapons and so is the enemy so you would be more than happy to invest in this.
8. Doom EternalDoom Eternal is the latest game in the Doom series and it will be released in 2020. The game is available for PS4, Windows, and Google Stadia. It features the perfect gameplay formula that you have seen in the 2016 Rebooted Doom game but there are a few extra elements added to give it a new attire. Most of the weapons in this game feature two variations and level up in two different pathways.You will have to use each weapon smartly because each one of the enemies is different and has different weaknesses. The game is linear, the map is wider, and there are lots of secrets to uncover. There are lots of weapons too and you will get the multiple performing sections, creating the most frenetic shooter. If you like explosives and quick gameplay, then you are going to love this one. You will also find a storyline and a great number of quests too. Overall, the last game released in the series is quite fun and you might want to play it ASAP.
ConclusionSo these are the Doom games so that you were looking for. These games have impressed the players as well as critics and you will get to spend a very long time completing the whole series or even just the favorite games in the series. So it will be the best option to kill some time or even have a great time playing with your friends.That would be all for now, we hope that you found everything that you have been looking for and will certainly enjoy playing the Doom series. Thank you.