Playing a good video game is still one of the best ways to escape reality and have a good time with yourself or your friends. There are plenty of genres available so you can easily find a game that is ideal for you and you can flaunt your gaming skills too. One of the lesser talked about genres is the real-time strategy. This is one of the most underrated video game genres because there are plenty of games where you will have to make a strategy to win, but there are a few games that revolve around making a strategy having all the balls in your court as long as possible.
One such game from the real-time strategy or RTS genre is Age of Empires. Ever since this game came first in 1997, everyone went crazy for it. The game is quite engaging and will certainly keep you on the edge for most of the time. This game covers all the Eras from stone age to the iron age to finally the ruthless Era of colonialism in South and North America. This game is all about forming your own army, managing resources, building your empire, and waging a war against opponents to conquer them. The in-game will be yours to conquer and win over. You would be able to select an area or empire and make strategies to win that empire and expand yours.
With all the features and gameplay tactics, it is clear that Age of Empire is a popular and interesting game. If you are a fan you have most likely completed the game multiple times now, we don’t blame you. But it will take some time for the new Age of Empire game to come, till then you might want to refresh yourself and try out other similar games.
Well, games like Age of Empire are hard to find yet we have a few food alternatives. But the thing is you may or may not know which are the best games like Age of Empire and that is why we are going to help you out with finding the best games like Age of Empire. Here, we have selected the top 11 games like Age of Empire and we think you would certainly love these games too.
So go ahead and take a look at the following best games like Age of Empires and see which one is your favorite one among these.
- 1 Best Games Like Age Of Empires
Best Games Like Age Of Empires
Age of Mythology is one of the best games to play if you love playing the Age of Empire. This is one of the best games out there when it comes to real-time strategy and tactics. This game has been developed by the same studio that developed Age of Empire so you might get what you are looking for. The Age of Empires is based on historical events and covers many Eras and different timelines in history, this one mainly focuses on the famous Greek, Egyptian, and Norse myths and it takes place in Atlantis.The player will have to manage the army, resources, and conquer the different civilizations is the motive, just like Age of Empires. Each one of the civilizations has its own religion and culture. You will have to choose a God as you start playing the game and as you move forward you would be able to choose more God.Overall, it is a great game to play if you like playing the Age of Empires. This is a perfect alternative and you will enjoy it as well.
2. Starcraft 2Starcraft 2 is another one of the leading games like Age of Empires that you need to know about. This game has also impressed the fans of Age of Empires and it is a perfect alternative too. This is the second installment in the series and it has all the better features from its predecessor. The game is space-based and you will be using your strategic skills in real-time to manage the resources and conquer the space. The game has been set in the 26th century so there will be too much fun with the futuristic technology.The game offers non-linear gameplay. The player would get to choose between the three species namely, Terran, Protoss, and Zerg. You will take part in an intergalactic war and have to survive this war with limited resources and lots of planning and strategies.The game has been split into three parts and you will have to play them all to get to know the whole story and see how it will end for your character. Overall, it’s a fun game and you will get a break from the historical stories and war and be a part of futuristic wars. So make sure you check this one out as well.
Rise of Nations has also made a place on our list of best games like Age of Empire and this one too will impress you. The game has been developed by Big Huge Games and you will find 18 civilizations and 8 ages of world history. This game has been considered one of the best RTS games in history so you will not be disappointed. This game emphasizes the concept of territory and how well you can manage your territory.The players can construct buildings and make their territory the coolest one. The aim for any player in this game would be to progress and advance to the most modern age to gain access to better weapons and attack on their enemies efficiently. You can either the territory or just wipe the existing population of enemy territory.This game will certainly help you to get the best experience of making strategies or waging war. This is not child’s play and you would most certainly enjoy every minute spent on this game. So go ahead and give it a try, you will love it.
Sid Meier’s: Civilization VI is another one of the best games to play if you are a fan of Age of Empire or other RTS games. This is a highly rated turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire and see if you can sustain it. As the game starts, you will find yourself a part of a simple nomadic tribe and you manage the resources. As the game moves forward you will find yourself evolving, collecting more resources, and becoming a dominating power in the world.Critics have praised this game for its civilizations part where nothing will be easy and you have to make sure that you use your best skills to build your empire. The strategies will go into new depths and you may have never been a part of something like this before either. The game will show everything from espionage to diplomacy. It will also bring subjects like religion to nation-building on the table as well.You don’t easily make a country of your imaginations through the choices you make. This game may be a little overwhelming for beginners but it would be ideal for those who have played the other strategy-based games before.
5. Empire EarthEmpire Earth has also made a place in our list of best games like Age of Empires and you are going to love this one because of its similarity with the latter game. The game, just like Age of Empires, features the history of the earth and shows the civilizations in the span of the last 500,000 years. The game will begin in the historic Era and will end in the nano Age. The player will have to gather resources for various activities such as the construction of buildings, increasing the population and making a civilization, and conquering other civilizations.The game also comes with an extensive map editor which will help their players to create their empires in whatever design they wish. It also features a Hero system where two types of heroes will exist. One is the strategic heroes who will be responsible for healing and demoralizing the enemy while the Warrior heroes give morale to surrounding units and have greater attack power. Overall, this will be a fun game to play and you are going to enjoy it as well, so go ahead and try this one out.
Warcraft III – Reforged is also a popular game like Age of Empires that you will love playing. This classic strategic game will take you on a fantasy journey where they can command exquisite creatures like the Night Elves, Undead, Orcs, and humans.Players would be able to choose any fraction and build their base and assemble an army. Heroes can also be recruited in this game. Overall, it is a fun game and you will have lots of fun playing it, the visuals and music are just amazing.
7. Command and Conquer: Tiberium AlliancesCommand and Conquer: Tiberium Alliances is also a top game like Age of Empires and you would most certainly love playing this game after you have explored the RTS genre. This game is based on another strategic game called Dune 2. The game focuses on a single central storyline and campaigns of various factions.You will have to organize and manage a whole military and there will be some MMO elements too. Collecting resources, constructing buildings, and engaging in wars is a huge part of the game. So go ahead and see if you can make good enough strategies and survive multiple wars in the game.
8. Bad NorthBad North was hyped during the time of its release because it was a little different yet promised a great real-time strategic gameplay that will keep the players hooked for a long time. The game may feel a little cartoonish with the mellow music but as soon as you explore the game and move forward you will realize it’s a brutal game. The game will take place on an island and its premise is quite simple. You will have to gather an army and update your weapons to defend your island.There are plenty of islands and each of them will need different strategies and tactics according to its shape, size, and location. So we can say that it is a perfect strategic game to play.
This is another one of the leading RTS games that you will like playing if you like Age of Empires. The game is set in the middle east during the Crusades and features Arabian units as well. This game will require you to make armies and manage resources like the other strategic games but you can also build farms and look after the crops as well. You can collect resources like iron ore which you can either sell or make weaponry. Overall, it is a great strategic game to play, especially if you want to explore the Middle East.
10. NorthgardIf you like Vikings then you would most certainly love this game like Age of Empires. Well, all can agree that Vikings are cool and most of us are curious about them too. Well, this game will let us explore the lifestyle of Vikings. Here, you will manage the resources and monitor the regular warfare too. The gameplay is quite engaging and you will most certainly love how amazing it is. There are so many surprises so make sure you check this one out.
11. Cities: SkylinesIf you have just finished Age of Empires and that was a little chaotic for you then we have a perfect game for you, Cities: Skylines. There are plenty of things that you can do. In this game, you will be a part of modern civilization and you can build a city or even a capital from scratch. This game will also require you to use your strategic skills and make your city the best one in the world.
ConclusionSo these are some of the best games like Age of Empires and you would most certainly love these games as well. These games have received high ratings and lots of positive reviews from both the players and critics. These games are quite similar to Age of Empires so you will get a great time playing these games as well.That would be all for now and we hope you got the best game like Age of Empires. So go ahead try out your favorite alternative for Age of Empires and have a good time.