Even though the US or China are the major developers of video games and we are pretty thankful for the games that they have developed over the years, one other country that has made a significant mark in the gaming industry in Japan. Japan has been making some video games for decades now and we all can agree that their games have the most intense storyline and character growth. Although there are plenty of amazing Japanese games available for us to play, we are going to talk about Castlevania today.
Castlevania is one of the most popular game series that you will find. The series started in 1986 and it is still going as we can see games still being released each year in this series. Castlevania is a Gothic horror action-adventure game series about vampire hunters. So there will be a high-end action and adventure as well as some horrific elements too. The series has been developed by Konami and it has been released on various platforms over the years. The game has been loved by the fans and this is the reason why its fan following is only increasing with time.
There are 26 main series games in the series, other than these games you will also find spin-offs, collections, and cross-over games. So if you are thinking of starting the series and playing all the games in order, then you are going to have a great time as this will last for a while. The game series is quite impressive and you will certainly fall in love with this too.
If you want to play the series in its chronological order then you must know the exact Castlevania games in order. This may be a little challenging since there are plenty of games. But we are here to help you out. In this article, we are going to list down the Castlevania games in order and also review the first few games too, so you can know what to expect from the series. So go ahead and see the order of the Castlevania games.
- 1 Best Castlevania Games In Order
- 1.1 1. Castlevania
- 1.2 2. Vampire Killer
- 1.3 3. Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
- 1.4 4. Haunted Castle
- 1.5 5. Castlevania: The Adventure
- 1.6 6. Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse
- 1.7 7. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge
- 1.8 8. Super Castlevania IV
- 1.9 9. Castlevania Chronicles
- 1.10 10. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
- 1.11 Conclusion
Best Castlevania Games In Order
1. CastlevaniaThe first game in the series was titled Castlevania and this one was released in 1986 in Japan while it was released worldwide in 1988. The game was released for several consoles including MS-DOS PCs, Commodore 64, NES, Game Boy Advance, Wii Virtual Console, a3DS Virtual Console, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.The game follows the story of Simon Belmont who has inherited a mythical whip that is brimming with holy power, from his father. From there a side-scrolling action adventure starts and keeps you on the edge. Simon will go to Count Dracula’s castle, which has a lot of spooky stuff going on and has a lot of weird vibes too. Simon soon realizes that he is a descendant of a vampire hunter family. Now that Dracula has appeared after 100 years, he is on his way to destroy him.There is a lot to do in the game and you will have to use your combat skills too. The player will begin the game with four lives and five hearts. He will have to make sure he kills Dracula before he gets to him or make everyone his victim. Overall it is a fun start to the series but bears in mind that it is only a beginning.
2. Vampire KillerThe next Castlevania game in order is Vampire Killer and this one was released in 1986 too, just after a few months of the first games. Naturally, fans were eagerly waiting for the next chapter in the game series so the game was a great success. This game is the parallel version of the previous game and you will find this game on Wii U Virtual Console.The developers have changed the gameplay, so now there are labyrinth-like chapters instead of linear levels in the game. The premise and soundtrack are also the same as the first game. It consists of 18 stages in the game and they all are chapter-wise. The story of the game is also similar where the player will control the character of Simon, a vampire hunter who is on his way to kill Dracula in his castle. Overall, it is a great game to play after the first one and you would certainly like to finish it quickly and move to the next game as well.
3. Castlevania II: Simon’s QuestThis is the third game in the series and it was released in 1987 for Famicom Disk System. In 1988, it debuted worldwide for the NES. The story of the game follows the events of the first game where Simon is on his way to killing Dracula. You will find a way to stop a cursor Dracula placed on Simon during their final fight, now you must go back to the Castle ruins to save Simon.Several changes have been introduced to the game and some of them may stay permanently to the series. You will now find towns and villagers with items and clues. It also features a world map, in-game currency, a non-linear design, and weapon upgrades as well. Overall, the story will move forward and you will face new challenges. Go ahead and explore this game to see how you can kill Dracula this time or he might kill you too.
4. Haunted CastleHaunted Castle is the next game in the Castlevania series and with this game, you will join a new side-scrolling adventure too. The game debuted in 1987 as an arcade title, but later on, it was made available for PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 4. This game is a port to the original title and this one will certainly impress you again.Although there have been some changes from the previous installments but it would be for good. There will be new twists in the plot as Simon’s wife also comes into the picture and turns out there is a connection between Simon’s wife and Dracula. Not only this, but you will also find some new weapons that have come to light and you will get to know what Morning Star is.Overall, it is a great game and it was also pretty popular as well. Even today this game is loved by players across the world.
5. Castlevania: The AdventureCastlevania: The Adventure is the next game in the Castlevania game series order and this one was released in 1989 for Game Boy and later it was made available for Game Boy Color as well.This game is like a prequel to the series as it happens centuries before the events of the first installment in the series. The game introduces us to the character of Christopher Belmont who is an ancestor to Simon Belmont. He is on his way to defeat the vampire lord. The story is quite interesting and you will get to know about the events that happened a century ago. Even though there are no sub-weapons, you will get weapon upgrades. It is pretty important to the story and you will certainly like playing it too. The soundtrack and background are even better.
6. Castlevania III: Dracula’s CurseThis is the next game in the series and it debuted in 1989 in Japan and in 1990 worldwide. The game was premiered on many consoles such as the Wii Virtual Console, Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console, and Wii U Virtual Console.This game is a prequel to the last game in the series and it also happens centuries before the first installment in the series. This time, you will take control of the character of Trevor C. Belmont (who is also the main character of the Netflix series). This game features the classic side-scrolling experience and the player will be able to choose between two stages at several points in the game. This game has various endings, so you would be able to play it several times too.
7. Castlevania II: Belmont’s RevengeThis game was released in 1991, almost two years after the last game, so naturally the fans were eager to play this game. It premiered on Game Boy in 1991 and later on Game Boy Color.The plot of the story happens 15 years after The Adventure. In this game, Dracula has returned and he has kidnapped Christopher’s son Soleil and turned him into a demon. There is a new devil who is helping Dracula in regaining his body and getting the Castle. This is also an interesting game to play and there have been some changes to the weapons of the games as well.
8. Super Castlevania IVThis game debuted in 1991 for the SNES, and it has had multiple re-releases since its original debut. Although the game follows the previous mechanism you will find some changes including 16-bit graphics, a new soundtrack, and higher levels.You will be playing the character of Simon Belmont in 1691 and he is on his journey to defeat Dracula through side-scrolling. If Simon dies, the player will have to start again. There are plenty of new weapons in the game and it will be so much fun to play with them as well.
9. Castlevania ChroniclesCastlevania Chronicles is the next game in the series and this one was released in 1993, first for the X68000 PC system and then for PlayStation 1.This game is more of a remake of the first title but with various changes. A lot of things have been improved in the game and they will all impress you as well. You will get new stages, new levels, new skills, and some special powers.
10. Castlevania: Rondo of BloodCastlevania: Rondo of Blood is the next installment in the game series and this one debuted in 1993 for the PC Engine Super CD-ROM System.You will get to know a new character of Richter Belmont, he is on a journey to save one he loves, Annette. She has been abducted by Dracula and the only way to save her is to get to the Castle. There are plenty of amazing features in this game and you will also find some fun weapons too. It takes the story to a new level which you are going to love to play.
ConclusionSo these are the Castlevania games so that you have been looking for. We wrote down the games in chronological order so you would be able to follow the correct order of the game. Although some people may play only the best games in the series if you like this game or love to play the long game series.That would be all for now and we hope you found this article helpful and you got everything that you have been looking for.