Japanese video games are pretty popular these days and they have always made a huge mark in the gaming industry. Whether we get the Japanese games just when they release in Japan or we get them years later, the care for Japanese titles remains the same. Some of the reasons why we love playing Japanese games are because of the great graphics, details, and a solid storyline that keeps us hooked on the title for a long time. One such game that has made quite a buzz worldwide is the Danganronpa series.
Danganronpa is also a popular Japanese game title that you would most certainly like to play sometime. The series was released first in Japan and then we got it years after its original release, nonetheless this game series is considered a successful one.
This series follows the story of Hope’s Peak Academy which has some of the brightest minds in Japan. But soon some tragic things take turns. You will find a bear machine that forces the students to kill each other. If one student can kill any other fellow student, only then he would be free. This is a popular genre in Japan and it is something like the new Korean drama on Netflix, Squid Game! Even though the game isn’t well translated and some things remain in Japanese, yet it made sure that people do like to play the game.
The game also features many interesting elements that make it even more exciting such as a dating simulator, third-person shooting, and mystery board games. Overall, the game is quite a treat for people who are fans of Japanese games and the thriller genre.
The series started in 2010 and it went on for years. There are a total of three main games, three spin-offs, one bundle, and one enhanced port. So if you want to play the whole series you might want to know the correct order of the games in the Danganronpa series. If you are having difficulty finding the correct order of this series then don’t worry, you have landed in the best place. Here, we are going to list down the Danganronpa games in order, go ahead and have a look at the following games in order.
- 1 Best Danganronpa Games In Order
- 1.1 1. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc – 2010 (Main Series)
- 1.2 2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair – 2012 (Main Series)
- 1.3 3. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls – 2014 (Spin-off)
- 1.4 4. Danganronpa: Unlimited Battle – 2015 (Spin-off)
- 1.5 5. Kirigiri Sou – 2016 (Spin-off)
- 1.6 6. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony – 2017 (Main Series)
- 1.7 Conclusion
Best Danganronpa Games In Order
1. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc – 2010 (Main Series)The first game in the Danganronpa series was Trigger Happy Havoc and this one was released in 2010 for PlayStation Portable Japan. After a while, the game was also released for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, SteamOS, and Linux.The players will take control of Makoto Naegi, a student who is involved in Battle Royale in Hope’s Peak Academy. The robot has trapped Makoto along with other 14 students and there is only one condition to escape, they must kill other students and then prove their innocence when the trial takes place.The gameplay includes a dating simulation and the third-person shooting element. Makoto will have to solve the trial and find who is the killer. The player will have to research and find clues and also talk to students outside trials. A player will have to find the truth behind the brutal murders. Make sure you use all of your skills to get the information out of students. This is an interesting start to the game and it is full of thrilling elements too. So you are going to have some fun here.
2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair – 2012 (Main Series)The second game in the series is called Goodbye Despair and this one was released in 2012. The game is the sequel to the last released game and it was released for PlayStation Portable and then for PlayStation Vita, the PlayStation Portable, Windows, macOS, SteamOS, and Linux. The plot takes place after the events of the first game and this game follows a new protagonist, Hajime Hinata.Hajime Hinata is trapped on an island along with other students by the headmaster Monokuma. The game also features a new co villain, Monomi who is a sentient stuffed rabbit. Just like the first game, the only way to escape the island is to kill their peers and get away by proving their innocence.There are three playtime parts in this game, the dating sim section, where you will have to use your charms to get information from the students. The second part is Deadly Life, where you will have to investigate the crime scene. Lastly, you will take part in the class trial. So here you must use your debate skills by talking to your classmates. Overall, this is a pretty good game to play.
3. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls – 2014 (Spin-off)As we have mentioned, this is a spin-off game in the series that was released in 2014 for PlayStation Vita in Japan. Later, the game became worldwide available for the PS Vita, PlayStation 4, and Windows. The plot of the game takes place between the first and the second game in the series. A year after the first title Makoto’s sister, Komaru Naegi tries to escape the city. But the Monokuma Robot attacks her.Later on, she joins a group of children called Warrior of Hope who is trying to kill adults with robots. This makes this game a third-person adventure and thriller game instead of previous novel gameplay. Komaru has hacking guns, truth bullets, and some outstanding hacking abilities. Toko Fukawa will also help Komaru during the game.The player will be able to take control of the villain of the game, Genocide Jill for a while. Overall, the game may be a spin-off but it is quite fun to play and there are so many exciting elements involved in the game as well.
4. Danganronpa: Unlimited Battle – 2015 (Spin-off)We have another spin-off game in the series, Unlimited Battle and this one was released in 2015 for iOS and Android in Japan, but it is not available anymore. It was more of a shooting game that allows players to shoot in confined areas. Overall, the game wasn’t focused on the main storyline and it was just released for the phone users to kill some time. So you have got nothing to complain about.
5. Kirigiri Sou – 2016 (Spin-off)Kirigiri Sou is yet another spin-off game in this series and this one was released in 2016 for Windows and macOS in japan. This is more of a mystery novel game that also features some horror and suspense elements that will keep the players on edge while playing the game. The plot of the game revolves around the Kirigiri novel and the first title in the series.The player will take the control of the character Kirigiri Sou, who is an outstanding detective in the Hope’s Peak Academy. You will be investigating the mission people from a mysterious mansion. The gameplay focuses on the 2D characters and background slides. The most interesting part of this game is that it has multiple endings. So the ending you will get will directly depend on the choices you make along with the game. Overall, it is a fun game to play if you are already a fan of the series and it will also be fun to experience the horror and suspense in the game as well.
6. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony – 2017 (Main Series)This is the third and the final installment in the Danganronpa games in order and it was released in 2017 for PlayStation 4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch, and Windows.This game features Killing Harmony following the 16 students in a survival setting. Each one of the characters featured in the game has some special skill and ultimate talent. The players will be playing the role of two students, Kaede Akamatsu and Shuichi Saihara. Both of them play their role in the story.The game also features Monokuma as the game master along with Monokubs, a smaller robot bear serving as the secondary antagonist. Just like the previous installments in the game, it makes students kill each other for escape. The gameplay of this game is similar to the previous games. It also features some character development. So there are plenty of amazing things that you would like in this game, so go ahead and try them out.
ConclusionSo these are the Danganronpa games that you have been looking for. These games are pretty amazing and they have been appreciated by both players and critics across the world. The games are pretty fun to play and you will certainly get a new genre to explore if you are bored of the exciting one. This game is amusing and will keep you on the edge throughout the game.You can either play just the main series games or you can also entertain yourself with the spin-off games too. Either way, this game is going to be super fun to play as you will be stuck around the game for a while.That would be all for now and we hope you got everything that you have been looking for, that is, the Danganronpa games in order.