Fantasy is one of the best genres that we never get bored. When we read a fantasy book it feels like we are in another world and we just escape the present for a while. We get to be creative with our imagination when we read the book and try to put ourselves in the shoes of the characters.
Luckily, the fantasy genre is explored by several legendary authors such as JK Rowling, RR Martin, and more. And you may have also read some of the most popular fantasy books that are the Harry Potter series or the Game of Thrones series. But there are so many other fantasy books too that you can pick up and read.
In this article, we are listing the top Fantasy Books which are too good to be missed. So go ahead and find out the best Fantasy books to pick up the next one for yourself.
- 1 Best Fantasy Books
- 1.1 1. The Lord Of The Rings
- 1.2 2. Mistborn
- 1.3 3. A Song of Ice and Fire
- 1.4 4. The Gunslinger
- 1.5 5. Good Omens
- 1.6 6. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
- 1.7 7. The Name of the Wind
- 1.8 8. Tigana
- 1.9 9. The Last Unicorn
- 1.10 10. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell
- 1.11 11. The Darkness that Comes Before
- 1.12 12. Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn
- 1.13 13. The Golden and the Djinni
- 1.14 14. The Harry Potter series
- 1.15 Conclusion
Best Fantasy Books
1. The Lord Of The RingsThe Lord of The Rings tops our list of best fantasy books of all time. The series was written by J.R.R Tolkien. Any list of fantasy books would be incomplete without this modern fantasy where you would find elves, hobbits, dwarfs, magic, and so much more.The series started with The Hobbit and over the year, J.R.R Tolkien came with other books to complete the story. Here you would certainly find yourself drawn in the story and it’s not the kind of book which you can stall, so if you have started it you would wanna complete it in one go.The perfect blend of corrupted power with a powerful friendship is something you would appreciate. The characters are well written and the writing is quite intelligent as well.It’s a well-known fact that the books have been adapted into movies, even if you have watched the movies the books have so much more to offer and you would find it as interesting as the movies if not more. If you still haven’t read The Lord of the Rings this one should be your next fantasy book.
2. MistbornThe next one on our list of the best fantasy books is Mistborn by Bradon Sanderson. The series is quite unique and you might not find it that cliché when it comes to the fantasy genre. The story features the ability to alter metal and another magic system that you might not have seen before.The story of the book revolves around the ruler who rules with an iron fist and he commands the people of the kingdom what they can do or what they can’t. And that’s where the lead character of the book introduces, that is, Kelsier, who is a thief and has discovered the power of allomancy which is the power to alter metal.The book gives you a unique blend of magic, politics, and power and it would be interesting to read. This book might not be a popular one or the one you have heard the name of, but it’s worth your time. People have loved the series and its end which left them stunned!
3. A Song of Ice and FireWho isn’t aware of the iconic show Game of Thrones! If you are then you must know that the show was adapted from the book series of A Song of Ice and Fire written by George RR Martin. The TV series might be over and you might have watched it more than twice till now but that doesn’t mean you won’t enjoy the book. For starters, there are a few differences between the books and the series, and no adaptation of any book can do justice to the original writing so it would be pretty great to read the series and explore the imaginary world of RR Martin where people of the seven kingdoms are fighting for the thrones, against nightwalkers or dragons.Plus RR Martin hasn’t released the final book so if you were disappointed with how the show ended, you might find a different and relevant ending in the books! It doesn’t matter if you have watched the show or not but reading the series would be worthy of your time.
4. The GunslingerThe Gunslinger by Stephen King makes the next best fantasy book on our list. As you would be aware of Stephen King’s writing style where he can give you goosebumps and chills with his characters and storyline, this one too made sure you get the best of Stephen King’s work.This time Stephen King has brought you the fantasy genre where he features the lead with a gun and the villain who is more or less a shadow but utterly dangerous and mysterious. There would be demons as well as the power to raise the dead. It’s not all the fairy tale type of fantasy but a dark one that gives you chills and nail-biting moments.
5. Good OmensGood Omens is written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. The book features tons of emotions, you will find it funny, heartwarming, and some tense moments as you witness the Apocalypse. The book is loved for its mixed genre of fantasy and comedy and here you would certainly like the book as well. The lead character of the book is Adam, who is an antichrist, funny, and everyone like him. Here you would find the perfect relationship between the demon and the angle which provides you with even more drama as well as a funny take on different things.It might not be the cliché fantasy book with lots of fights and magic but it is certainly a book that you can read sometime and enjoy yourself.
6. The Lion, the Witch, and the WardrobeAnother popular fantasy book has made it to our list of best fantasy books. This one too is a well known and highly praised fantasy book where you would find a magical world where oy the lead characters, Lucy, Peter, Susan, and Edmund are known.They enter a different world where you would find magic and well magic! There is also a lion who has an interesting role to play in their lives. What they do there and how do they find their way back to their homeland is a story that you must read once in your lifetime.
7. The Name of the WindThe Name of the Wind is our next pick for the best fantasy book that you can find. It is written by Patrick Rothfuss who has already popular in the fantasy genre but this book took the world by storm in 2007 when everyone was in awe with this writing style and the way he presented the fantasy genre. Though only two books have been published so far and fans are eagerly waiting for its third and final part so it would be the right time to read the iconic series.The book focuses on the character of Kvothe who is recalling his younger days when he was a student of magic and also learning music. It’s not a simple story though, as a lot of questions arise in the background and we just wait for the answers while exploring the fantasy world of Kvothe and his younger days.
8. TiganaTigana by Guy Gavriel Kay is another popular fantasy series that you might wanna read and explore. It’s not something that would be appreciated or accepted by everyone but for the people who find the slow burn stories with epic turns and twists would love it. Some people had to read it twice to fully understand the book but they still find it worthy of their time.Tigana features the world of kingdoms where every kingdom wants to be the most powerful and there is lots of magic and every kingdom has its army. People are fighting against injustice and rebellion. If you are into this kinda fantasy world where things are too hard to understand and at the same time give you the reason to find how it ends, then you should read this book next.
9. The Last UnicornThe Last Unicorn is written by Peter S. Beagle. The book has got the title of one of the most beautiful novels by the people who have read it so far. The book features the world where magic is slowly disappearing and so is the ability of people to see magical creatures.The book has been adapted into an animated film but the book is considered much better than its adaption. If you are new to this genre or not really into it and wanna give it a try then you must read the book.
10. Jonathan Strange & Mr. NorellJonathan Strange & Mr. Norell written by Susana Clark is another top fantasy book that you would find.The story is set in 19th century England where magic is fighting for existence on the land. The Raven King who has a reputation and is more of a legend in the magic world hasn’t seen in ages and with that, a lot of things keep changing and not for good. At present, two practical magicians appear, and with that everything is about to change! Are they good or bad for the magic world?This one too is a slow burn story so readers have to be patient with it but it’s worthy of your time as the story will surprise you.
11. The Darkness that Comes BeforeR. Scott Baker’s The Darkness that comes Before has also won the hearts of fantasy genre fans. It’s the first book of The Prince of Nothing trilogy and it has impressed people for good.The book is very dark and violent (also the sexual violence that gives you chills and might make you uncomfortable too) so it draws the attention of the fans of violent and dark themes.The lead characters of the book are Kellhus, The Dunyain, Achamian the mage, Esmenet the whore, and Cnaiür the barbarian. The author has done a phenomenal job f blending the lives of these characters and making them part of each other’s lives. It’s a beautiful but twisting story that will keep you on your toes and you would just want to end the story in one go.
12. Memory, Sorrow, and ThornMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Ted Willaims was published from 1988 to 1993 but it’s still considered as one of the best fantasy series till now. It’s a trilogy and you would find every book of the series worth your time as the books consist of fantasies, complexities as well as the perfect comic timings.Ted Williams has created the fictional world just like Game of Thrones. As the name of the trilogy suggests, there are going to be several joyful as well as sorrowful moments.
13. The Golden and the DjinniThe Golden and Djinni by Helen Wrecker is another popular fantasy book that you need to read. The book is based on two magical creatures set loose in New York City. One is a mythical creature of Jewish Voyage and the other is a genie which is accidentally freed by a tinsmith. Both the creatures find each other and make a team against the evil sorcerer who wants to enslave them both.
14. The Harry Potter seriesAnother series that needs no introduction whatsoever. Ever since JK Rowling came up with the idea of Hogwarts and the wizarding world, the whole world has gone crazy and whoever read the book is secretly waiting for their letter from Hogwarts.There are high chances that you might have already read the series but if you haven’t then you are missing on something unbelievable and magical which will not only promise you the best reading experience but would change your world for good.If you have never read any fantasy book or any book for that matter, then the Harry Potter series should be your first choice to make you fall in love with the books or for the fantasy genre. Everything from the characters to the storyline is on point and you would certainly love the book! Being Potterhead I can assure you this is indeed the best fantasy book you will ever read!
ConclusionSo these are the best fantasy books that you needed to know about. You might have heard about some of these but you should know that every one of them is worth your time and attention and you should not miss them.We just hope that you found our article helpful and you know which fantasy book to pick next!